Friday, September 28, 2007

4th Dimension: Arrow of time?


When I was 15 years old, and I had infinite time to talk to friends, I had one day a great insight into the nature of time. That day my friend Italo and I ended up somehow talking about what was time in reality. After thinking deeply on what time was for a while and brainstorming from different angles to try to shed some light, it came right up to us. Time only occurs when there are changes in space (3D world). If all was unchanged time was stopped. Then sooner or later we concluded that time was the 4th dimension as it occurred as an effect of changes happening on the 3rd dimension. For the time being that was enough an explanation and I left it at that.

Time went by but there's always been something bugging me about this 4D. Why is it an arrowed dimension? why can we only go into the future advance one second at a time into the future and not to be able to go in reverse way? Why would this 4D be different than the rest of the dimensions which would allow an object to go in two directions? Or, as it might make more sense, maybe we need to start thinking of the limitation being only in our human mind?

I think for now I just wanted to ask the question ... Where is the arrow limitation? is it in the time dimension itself or is it in our human brain/mind? I could even go further pinpointing the place in our mind where it could be getting lost, could the limitation be in our consciousness only?

No comments: